Job Creation Interventions
The emphasis is on training and skills development to enable disabled people to either enter mainstream activities or become entrepreneurs and start-up their own business. Provision is also made to accommodate those that will never be able to gain suitable employment elsewhere.
This facility was created due to the need expressed by working mothers and family members for a care facility where they can leave their children with moderate to severe disabilities during the day. This Special Care is the only place that renders a service for this specific age group and has been around since 2014. Without this daycare, they have no other place to go. Due to the increased demand, this facility needs to expand to accommodate their needs.
A safe place for adults with severe disabilities who cannot be employed. The need to include them and make them part of society is one of the most important reasons this facility was created. CAP identified the need, and currently, we are the only organisation that is delivering a service to people with disabilities within the community. The project was started in 2014 and there is an increase in demand every year.
Employability is one of the core problems for out of school youth. Early workplace skill development is crucial to future earnings growth and unemployment early in working life increases the probability of future joblessness.
Our purpose is to give people in our community HOPE by training them in skills, placing them in jobs, addressing their values and mentoring them.
In-house skills or “on-the-job” training
Various work activities such as food packaging, sowing, woodwork, gardening etc. are used to provide “work” and through it, skills training. Attendees are also provided with in-house life skills training covering subjects such as budgeting, health, discipline, etc.
Certified Joint training programmes
Together with organisations such as Boland College where persons follow a certified course or program. These courses also have both educational and practical components.
Assistance with placement and work within the broader community and organisations.
Through our relationships and contact within the broader community and other local businesses, opportunities do arise for people to be placed in a position of permanent employment.
We provide the following:
- A safe and healthy environment for differently able adults so they can develop and grow.
- Social and life skills education to equip them to make better life choices.
- Recreational activities that promote sports, a healthy body and a healthy mind.
- Give them the opportunity to strive to live to their full potential by allowing them to do it in a safe environment.
- For those that are capable, create opportunities where they can generate an income by applying their learnt skills.
The facility addresses the needs of children with moderate to severe disabilities in the following manner:
- Providing educational development programs that are approved by the Department of Education.
- Provided with two meals daily.
- No fees are payable by the parents.
- Educational and recreational activities are being offered and are they part of the Overberg Sports forum. They participate in the International Disability Day annually.
- We have loving and caring staff who puts the needs of the children first.
- An occupational therapist visits on a regular basis. Individual and group exercises are provided, as required.
- The children are taken to the hospital for check-ups. New equipment is provided as the need arises (e.g. wheelchairs etc.).
Rural youth constitute approximately 55 % of the world’s young people. With increasing industrialization, rural areas around the world have experienced a decline in employment opportunities. Young people face difficulties in sustaining jobs in traditional agricultural sectors and in gaining access to education and training.
The way that we assist
We provide people with the opportunity to learn computer skills relevant to the workplace. While learning the fundamentals of Word, Excel and Powerpoint, we teach them soft skills in the process.
To further help improve their chances of finding employment, we assist them in obtaining their driver’s licence.
We help with applications at tertiary institutions and bursary providers for those interested in furthering their studies.
To help youth find their passion, we place them with organisations in their field of interest to gain practical experiance.